Page 1 of 1

SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:39 am
by starless
Hi folks,

Nothing to sell here, but just a heads up on SRS.

I'm sure many of you have bought stuff from them before, and know how good they are. But if you are going to buy a number of things at the same time, it's always worth phoning them up as it's impossible to know how the differing combination of offers and bundles can work out unless they do it for you on the phone. I have just saved myself quite a bit by doing this, without there even being an obvious offer on their site.

SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:31 pm
by Smeggypants
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:38 am
by ronniemac
It's also worth considering and asking SRS about part exchange if you have anything unused or unloved in your kit - (referring to camera gear only). :wink:

I could never have afforded the K-1, D FA 15-30, D FA 28-105, and D-FA 150-450 unless I was prepared to let go my old 645 gear.

Re: SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm
by MattEmmett
ronniemac wrote:It's also worth considering and asking SRS about part exchange if you have anything unused or unloved in your kit - (referring to camera gear only). :wink:

I could never have afforded the K-1, D FA 15-30, D FA 28-105, and D-FA 150-450 unless I was prepared to let go my old 645 gear.



Almost the exact same setup as me Ronnie. The 150-450 is an incredible lens.

SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 pm
by ronniemac
Hi Matt, I do get some good results with my 150-450 hand held, but too many suffer from camera shake when on the tripod with shutter set to a 12 second delay and shake reduction off. I am concluding that my tripod is not up to the lens when fully extended. So the purpose of this post is to ask you, and any other members, about which tripod and head you use for best results.

All suggestions welcome. thanks.

Re: SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 am
by MrB
ronniemac wrote:...I do get some good results with my 150-450 hand held, but too many suffer from camera shake when on the tripod with shutter set to a 12 second delay and shake reduction off...
All suggestions welcome. thanks.



Ronnie, I don't have a long lens nor do I understand how the tech works, but getting camera shake on the tripod prompts the question - have you tried using the tripod with camera SR switched on?

Cheers.
Philip

SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm
by MattEmmett
I have had some great crisp results using my Manfrotto 55 carbon and 3 way head. But... when it is extended and the wind is blowing, you have no chance at all unless the light is there for 1/1000th.

Re: SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 pm
by MattEmmett
ronniemac wrote:Hi Matt, I do get some good results with my 150-450 hand held, but too many suffer from camera shake when on the tripod with shutter set to a 12 second delay and shake reduction off. I am concluding that my tripod is not up to the lens when fully extended. So the purpose of this post is to ask you, and any other members, about which tripod and head you use for best results.

All suggestions welcome. thanks.



Just to check that you are mounting the lens on the dedicated mounting bracket? Silly question I know but just in case!

SRS Microsystems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 pm
by ronniemac
Thanks for all the advice guys, very helpful.

Philip, I didn't think to use shake reduction because it seems to be automatically disabled when using a timed shutter release, but I'll give it a go and see how it turns out - both on and off tripod.

Thanks for the info, Matt, on your Manfrotto carbon and three way head. I think I need to accept that a small and easily portable tripod with an inexpensive ball head is not up to the job. But yes, I was using the fixing the lens to the tripod rather than the camera.

I did some further trial and error and found that I was getting best results using electronic shutter and live view. I also determined that the stability of the floor and weight of traffic outside was a factor (I'm in a holiday rent flat overlooking Gloucester Harbor, MA, photographing schooners!). Frequently better results were achieved hand held, sitting in a comfortable armchair, or pressing down on the camera/lens/tripod arrangement. It seems that a bit of superimposed weight goes a long way to steadying everything.

Thanks again for your help guys, Ronnie.